05 May 2012

The Beastie Knights

With the passing of Adam Yauch from The Beastie Boys, I have been revisiting the groups ouvre; yes, I went there. "Sabotage" is perhaps my favorite. But as I listened to it, something caught my attention. As I heard the opening guitar riff, which permeates throughout the song, and the "hammerstrokes" laid down by the drums, this sounded familiar with something else I have heard. The opening track to The Dark Knight soundtrack has a similar style to "Sabotage." I am not sure if "Sabotage" served as any kind of influence for Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, but the similarity is a bit striking. It is known that Christopher Nolan, the director of The Dark Knight, said that Heat served as an influence on the direction he took with The Dark Knight, and even had the entire cast and crew watch Heat in order to understand where he wanted to go with the project. It is interesting that the "Sabotage" music video features The Beastie Boys running around in an urban environment as law enforcement agents chasing down bad guys, essentially what happens in Heat and The Dark Knight. Here is a sample from "Sabotage" followed by the opening track to The Drak Knight score, "Why So Serious?"


No comments: